This website contains images of people who have passed away.

Report and protect a possible Aboriginal place or object

Who to contact if you've discovered human remains or an Aboriginal place or object.

Discovery of human remains

If suspected human remains are discovered, you must contact the Victoria Police and the Coroner's Court of Victoria immediately. If there are reasonable grounds to believe that the remains are Aboriginal, the Coronial Admissions and Enquiries hotline must be contacted on 1300 888 544.

Secret and sacred objects

Legal ownership of secret or sacred objects is held by the Traditional Owners. Anyone who has a secret or sacred object should report it to the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Council.

Discovery of Aboriginal places or objects

If you think you've found an Aboriginal cultural heritage place or objects on any public or private land in Victoria you must report it to First Peoples - State Relations under the Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006.

You can notify First Peoples - State Relations of a discovery by completing a Preliminary Report form:

Report a possible Aboriginal heritage place
Word 57.25 KB
(opens in a new window)

Find out more about Aboriginal places and objects.

Recording an Aboriginal place or object

Heritage professionals should access ACHRIS to record or change the details of a place on the Victorian Aboriginal Heritage Register.