On the 31 March 2023, First Peoples State Relations hosted a 'Symposium for Assessment of Submerged Landscapes' for Registered Aboriginal Parties, Traditional Owner Groups, heritage professionals and project proponents.
The symposium aimed to bring key stakeholders together to explore how submerged Aboriginal heritage places and objects can be assessed and protected ahead of offshore development projects along Victoria’s coastline.
- presented and clarified the legislative context for assessments
- provided context via an outline of submerged landscape studies globally
- exhibited case studies of new and best practice research
- discussed the technology available to assist with assessments
- considered recommendations and mitigation measures which may become relevant to assessments.
Reviewed 18 July 2023