- wanting to learn new skills to facilitate meetings and work in groups
- involved in Traditional Owner business
- ready to step up and get more involved?
This 3-day workshop is tailored for Victorian Traditional Owners and provides essential skills for facilitating board meetings, community meetings, negotiation teams, stakeholder workshops, staff meetings, family meetings and everyday conversations. These facilitation skills can assist groups to talk through issues, make decisions and work well together.
What does the workshop cover?
The workshop covers:
- forming group agreements
- helping a group to work well together
- essential principles of facilitation
- micro skills for facilitation: self-awareness, listening, validating, normalising, summarising, noticing and naming, wondering, sitting with ‘hot’ situations
- developing your own self-awareness as a facilitator
- reading the energy of a group
- managing conflict and other tricky situtations
- knowing when to intervene to help the group get back on track
The training will:
- build on the knowledge and skills of Traditional Owner participants
- provide opportunities for Traditional Owners to network and learn from each other
- be interactive and provide lots of opportunities to practice skills and debrief
- invite stories from Traditional Owners that will help work on challenges
- involve a bit of fun along the way.
- Tuesday 30 May 2023
- Wednesday 31 May 2023
- Thursday 1 June 2023
This workshop is fully funded by First Peoples – State Relations. Travel support and accommodation are also available as per the Strong Roots for Our Futures Travel Support .
How to apply
Nominations are open to Victorian Traditional Owners.
Please submit your nomination ASAP to secure a place in the workshop. If more nominations are received than places, priority will be given to Traditional Owners of the Mid North West, Central North, North East and Far East Gippsland Regions.
To gain the best results out of the workshop, participants need to commit to attending all days of the workshop. We encourage:
- two or more Traditional Owners from a family or group
- Traditional Owners from a number of Traditional Owner groups
- both male and female participants
- younger participants who are seeking to step up and get more involved.
Nominations close on Wednesday 24 May 2023.
Please send your completed nomination form to Jesse Williams, Engagement Officer, First Peoples – State Relations by emailing Jesse.Williams@dpc.vic.gov.au.
For more information about the training, please contact Jesse Williams:
- email: Jesse.Williams@dpc.vic.gov.au
- mobile: 0437 946 083
Reviewed 18 May 2023